Green and grubby fingers and groaning backache






That time of year again, last February I thought about setting up Further South of Granada, a year on and as this blog chalks up more hits than I could have imagined, we are thinking of planting this Springs' vegetables, let's hope they germinate just as quickly...



Having allowed a couple of lettuce last year to go to seed, I was stopped in my soil turning the other day by the sight of a dozen or so little lettuce plants, clearly the ground is warmer than it should be for February, they're now put to bed in a seed tray ready to be replanted when the Huerta is ready.

While Stan was working away I passed the time forking over the ground, each dig in seemed to hit a stone the size of a new planet, but I managed about three quarters of the area in three hours solid digging so not too bad – think of the kilos dropping off Carol!! The next stage is to rework it, getting the soil prepared is lengthy but the preparation is vital. I will root out the packets of seeds later today and see what is salvageable from last year, we had some great Heritage seeds from the States, and get them started along here on the terrace, see what will establish best.



I'll go a diggin' again tomorrow and enjoy the work, mostly due to the sight of the almond in blossom, little pink and white cotton wool balls covering the mountain, and the sea below so still and blue, the whole picture is framed by the Sierra Nevada behind me, with their white bobble hat of snow. Larks and kestrels swoop and call to make mine the best office ever.



For today though, pretty normal, dentist appointments to make, cleaning and errands to run before teaching our little English class....and the sun is shining away as though Winter has been swapped for Spring....so I had better get on, you have a great day, wherever you are.............



Comments