Rummaging at the Rastro

There's an element of the Irish tinker about me, for sure. I love a rummage at a boot-fair, rastro, market, or charity shop. Nothing fills me with excitement more than a skip - and I have been known to dive into one whilst dressed to go out for the evening. Heels off - head first.

I embarrass the kids on many an occasion, but indeed have turned up the odd treasure or ten.

And then sometimes, okay mostly, I just buy junk. But it's always something I like the look of, and from first admiring glance I can picture where it will live in the house, and be loved.

We look out for books, old maps, lamps, music, interesting objet d'art, china, porcelain, ethnic finds.

We regularly visit Almunecar and Nerja (Sunday mornings) but this week strayed off course to Adra, where there's a rastro on the 3rd Sunday of each month.

So, yesterday's haul. What do you think? Trash or treasure?


1. A mirror cobbled together from woven esparto, wood, glass and leather. The seller recognised Stan from his season ticket seat at UD ALMERIA, and wished him good luck for the match last night. That didn't work very well! Love this though.

2. What the heck are these? Giant Mussel shells (?!) The mug is there to give some idea of size. Love these - they had to come home. Bargained so hard the seller asked me to go away and not look at anything else. He said of course they were Spanish, as everything in Spain is bigger. He was about 5' 2". :)


3. 50 classical CD's for a bargain price, all in excellent condition.


4. A pair of German silver antique earrings with screw backs. A gift for my mother, so she can close her eyes and be  reminded of her of her glamorous past and nights out....I doubt whether she will wear them, but she will enjoy owning them. 







Comments